Monday, March 3, 2008

Race Recaps!!!!!

I have been falling down on my responsibilities as a blogger. I have been extremely busy over the past month. I am going to give you a recap of the races I completed since my last blog.

Sylamore 50K

This race was awesome. It took place in the beautiful Ozark National Forest. We had a huge crew from the Memphis Ultra show up to represent our town beautifully. The race started early on a cold and drizzly morning. The course is set up as an out and back layout (out 16 and back 16). I think that it was actually a little bit longer though. Anyhoo, we started out running down a stretch of paved road and bailed out onto a trail that led to a river crossing at mile 1 or so. The river was only thigh deep this year, which was great because last year it was about stomach deep. The water was a little bit cold. Directly after the river, we made our way almost straight up a rocky staircase. The views were stunning. There were huge mossy covered boulders everywhere. The forest was full of hardwoods and pine trees. The temperatures were right above freezing and it started to rain. The trail was super sloppy but I have to give a shout out to my new trail shoes. The Inov8 Mudclaws performed flawlessly. They gripped every surface that I encountered. I was able to tear through the downhills and go up steep muddy slopes without slipping. On the downhill sections, I would build so much speed that I couldn't blink for fear of missing a foot placement a tumbling down the rocky mountain. When I wasn't able to blink my eyes would start to water from the cold air hitting them. What a great feeling. Anyway, I mad it to the turnaround in 3:30:ish and I still felt great. I made mental decision to start running hard. I probably passed 15-20 people on the way back to the finish. I came 62 of 118 with a personal record of 6:28:10. The race was great. It was the first ultra that I have finished and felt like I didn't even run. We had a great time grilling out with the Memphis Ultra crew and meeting lots of stud athletes after the race.

Soon to come....50 Miles to Freedom.

No comments: