Friday, March 28, 2008

Hey People

Just checking in. Since my last post, I have set another personal best. I ran the Germantown Half Marathon in 1:38:42. Before that time, my fastest was 1:44:45. That is 6 minutes and 3 seconds faster!!!!! HUGE! I started out running at what I thought was a decent pace. My first mile was a 6:42. SLOW DOWN!!! My next mile was right at my target pace of 7:30. I felt pretty good initialy. I only had two problems in the whole race. The first was when I got a cramp from a gel that I ate at mile four. I got rid of it by drinking my whole water bottle over the course of a mile. When I got to the next aid station my second problem arose. I had my ipod cranked and was jamming out to some Phish. I was coming up to the aid station and I unscrewed the cap to my water bottle. I ran through, grabbed a cup, dumped it in my bottle, recapped the bottle and took a sip. BARF!!! I had grabbed a cup with Heed in it instead of water. That stuff is nasty. This was the second time in two races that this happened to me. (In the 50 miler, an aid station attendant grabbed my bottle and filled it up with heed instead of water. I didn't notice until I was blowin down the trail already.) I had no choice but to drink it and wait till the next aid station for water. I kept checking my watch as I got closer and saw that I was going to be close to 1:40:00. I wanted to be in the 1:30's so I decided to start pushing a little harder with about a mile and a half left. Coming into the finish, I turned it up a little more. The course has a hill in the last hundred yards that was trying to make me slow down but I pushed through it and ran to a 1:38:42 finish. Overall, it was a great race. It made me appreciate the trails a whole lot more. The road race scene is completely different than the trails. Road racing is like a Sailboat race. Everyone is going as fast as they can, with no time for anyone else. They just want to post the best time they can. The trails are like casually cruising around in a sailboat. Everyone is friendly and will talk to you all day long. Everyone is going to the same place but they appreciate the scenery and the experience much more. Yeah Trails!!!!

Anyway, don't forget to sign up for the 6 Hour Run. Spots a filling up fast and there are only a few days left until the early registration ends.

2 comments:

runningtwig said...

Wooohhhh for PR's. So true about the trails...much more enjoyable...and not as hard on the joints.

Hopefully we'll have more sign up soon!

Mike Hudson said...

Tag...

Here are the rules:
1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!