Sunday, January 13, 2008

2007 Running Survey

I was tagged by Holly for a 2007 race questionnaire.

Most memorable moment on the trails in 2007.
The most memorable moment on the trails for 2007 is definitely finishing my first ever ultra marathon. I had never run over 24 miles. In fact, the closest I came was running up to the 24 miles and then hitting the wall. Holly was there to see me crash and burn and she also helped me by driving me home. (Thanks by the way J) Anyway, back to the first Ultra. It was in August in Memphis, the temperature was 103, and the humidity was outrageous. I was not sure if I could complete the race but was able to pull through with a little help from my friends and some race day magic. I ended up finishing at 6:55:17.
Best new trail discovered in 2007.
This is sort of a trick question for me. I started running in February of 2007. So basically, every trail was new to me in 2007. Next year iprobably will have a great answer for this question.
My best performance of 2007.
My best performance for 2007 would have to be the Memphis marathon. I signed up for the race just because it was in my hometown and I didn’t want to miss it. I had grown so fond of trail running that I had almost become a trail snob and had no desire to run the pavement. Leading up to the race my training began to suffer because I had a baby on the way and needed to get some stuff done before she arrived. However, to my surprise, I did a lot better than I thought. I was shooting for a time of around 4:00:00 and ended up with a 3:47:42. After that, I started to wonder what kind of time I could post with some training.
I don't know how I previously survived without...
There are several things that come to mind. Like I said, this was my first year to run. I started out with cotton t-shirts, white cotton socks, crappy shoes, no water bottle and no idea what was going on. I now have grown accustomed to my water bottle, my stretchy underwear (also known as “Mantees” on the trail), and of course the dry fit shirts.
The person I would most like to meet on the trails in 2008.
I would like to meet anyone who likes running. This sound pretty generic, but I am a pretty generic person. I will run with anyone.

The race I am most excited about for 2008. Right now, I am most excited about the Mississippi 50 miler. This race is on March 1. The furthest distance I have completed prior to now is 32ish miles. So this will be a first for the Squatting Bear and me. I can’t wait to see what happens.

This was a great survey. It was so great that I am going to tag Mike Hudson. By the way it was cool running into you on the trails and I will see you at the Swampstomper. I won’t be running but I will be there to cheer yall on.

5 comments:

Mike Hudson said...

It was great meeting you guys out on the trails Saturday! I look forward to running with ya'll, although I am not sure I can keep your pace for 30 miles!!

See ya Sunday at the Swamp Stomper and then at Sylamore, and then MS50!

Maybe we can carpool and share hotel expenses for Sylamore and MS50!

runningtwig said...

Get er done out there, Michael. Are you going to the swampstomper this weekend?

Jolly Green Thumb said...

Yes I am going out there to see all the Memphis Ultra crew run the race. I will be camped out by the finish line and maybe throughout the course.

squatting bear said...

WASABIIII!!!! Take care of your hoof Gordo, and by the way, get back to work and stop jerking off on the computer!!!!! LATER.

Jolly Green Thumb said...

Yay!!! Squatting Bear finally learned how to comment on peoples pages. That should be exciting for everyone.