Friday, January 18, 2008

QUEST FOR 100

In a post a long time ago, I told yall I would be putting up a list of races for 2008. I have been somewhat busy and am finally getting around to doing it. I want to start by saying that I had a great time running last year. I had so much fun that it has inspired me to become an animal on the trail. I have decided to become more focused on distance over speed. I want to try to run at least one 50K or longer each month this year. I also would like to complete my first 50 mile race. By the fall of 2008 if all goes well, I would like to try a 100 mile race. This is a huge commitment because I work very long hours and I have a new born baby girl at home. I think that I am going to have to start running in the middle of the night or something. Hopefully, I will be able to stay injury free. Anyway, here is list of races that I have planned for 2008

February 16th- Sylamore 50K

March 1st- Mississippi 50 Mile

March 16th- Germantown Half Marathon (Sidebar- This was the first race that I ever ran. I took the 5K option and ended up with a 24:01. This year I am going to try to PR the Half Marathon. My current PR is 1:44:45)

April 6- Double Death Run 30 Mile (Note: I found this date somewhere on the Internet. It was not in a spot where I would normally look. However, it is always somewhere around the first weekend in April.)

April 26- Nashville Marathon (We went to Nashville last year and had a great time. I only ran the half marathon last year. This is a fun race with bands all along the course and great aid stations.)

May- I currently have nothing on the books for May. I would love to participate in one of the triathlon relays here in Memphis. The first day is a mountain bike triathlon and the second day is a regular triathlon. I did the mountain bike last year and almost quit before I got out of the swimming portion. So this year I am looking for relay partners. I want to do the running portion, I know a biker and I need a swimmer. The mountain bike tri is a 1/3 mile swim and the next day is 1.5 K. Let me know if there are any takers.

June & July- Nothing on the books.

August- Stanky Creek 50 Mile (I ran the 50 K last year. It was my first Ultra and it was hot. The temperature was 103!!!! I will be attempting the 50 Mile this year.)

September- Nothing on the Plate.

October & November- These are the two months where I will be hopefully attempting a hundred miler. The two races I am looking at are The Arkansas Traveller or the Cactus Rose. If anyone has any input on either of these race, I would love to her it.

Well, there you go. A list of craziness. It ought to be a great year.

Happy Trails To You Until We Meet Again

Michael

2 comments:

runningtwig said...

That is a list of craziness! I'm glad you found the date of the double death and I'm glad you are doing Nashville. I don't see a 100 miler in my future, but I'll be more than happy to crew/pace for you!

squatting bear said...

Gordo, what's happening? Let me know what your plans are for the race on Sunday \. I'm looking forward to it, just make sure ypu have a cold beer for me at the finish line!!! Holla yo!!